Are videogames games?

I just read a blog post by Raph Koster, in which he explores the problem of trying to find a definition of videogames that encompasses so-called ‘notgames’ like Dear Esther – and indeed, whether or not we should even try. It’s a good read, although I’m not sure I agree with him. I should also warn you that it’s based mainly around a Venn diagram.

The ‘notgame’ debate in general frustrates me though – primarily because of the near-universal assumption that videogames are a subset of ‘games’ – and that Dear Esther (for example) can’t be a true videogame because it has no challenge, or obstacles, or game elements. Rather, it must be a piece of interactive art; as Koster says, one which possibly needs a new name since it fits poorly into either existing category.

But is that what really defines a videogame? I’ve long held the belief that ‘videogame’ is a poor choice of name for the sorts of things we create and enjoy, chosen too early in the medium’s creation, before we really understood what it was truly capable of. Is the ability to lose really the sole unique defining aspect?

If Dear Esther isn’t a true videogame, because it doesn’t rate your progress, or allow you to fail, then what happens when I turn on the invincibility cheat in Doom? Am I no longer playing a videogame? I’m pretty sure I’m not suddenly participating in a piece of interactive art. Surely by removing one element of the experience I haven’t fundamentally changed what it is?

We could try a clumsy analogy: If I remove the wheels from a car, then it no longer provides the basic fundamental functionality I’d expect a car to have. But it’s still a car – Its carness requires some qualification, admittedly, but it hasn’t suddenly become something else, and we don’t need to define a new category of objects for ‘things that are just like cars but can’t be driven.’

There’s a philosophical concept know as qualia – simply put, a quale is the essential quality of something, considered completely on its own terms. Qualia are, by their definition, extremely hard to define, but immediately familiar to everyone who’s experienced them. An example would be ‘redness;’ it’d be impossible to describe the experience of seeing the colour red to someone who’d never seen it – but as soon as they did, they’d understand it completely.

I’d argue there’s a quale to playing a videogame – an essential videogameness that’s hard to define, but easy to recognise, and it’s this experience, this feeling that defines them, not their position in a Venn diagram. And I’d argue that as long as something has the quale of videogameness, then that’s exactly what it is, regardless of what individual properties it has.

To me, it’s obvious that Dear Esther is a videogame, because it feels like one. when I play Dear Esther I’m experiencing and inhabiting that world in exactly the same way I experience and inhabit any videogame world – it has an essential videogameness that’s clearly distinct from the way I experience an architectural simulation, or a DVD menu, or a powerpoint slideshow. I might struggle to explain the distinction between them in words, or construct a diagram than neatly places everything in strict categories, but the distinction is nonetheless clear.

Anyway, back to my original point, the attempt to define videogames as a subset of games, or as a subset of interactive art, or (as Koster does,) the subset of both, belittles them. As far as I’m concerned, Videogames are a thing all to themselves, not simply a shaded area on a diagram where two arbitrarily chosen categories overlap. They mostly incorporate elements of gameplay, and very often elements of artistic expression, but it doesn’t follow that they must always do both.

I don’t know exactly how to define a videogame, any more than I know how to define redness. But my point is, does it really matter? Koster says he’d “hate to lose precision on something that we are finally able to pin down,” but have we ever actually had that precision? And do we really need to?

It’s great that expressive media don’t always have clear-cut definitions, and this debate reaches back far further than the birth of videogames – it’s inevitable, whenever people start to make things that don’t fit neatly into the existing categories; Dear Esther is a videogame in the same way that Fountain is a work of art, or Blue is a movie, or 4’33” is a piece of music. We have nothing to gain from building arbitrary semantic walls around the things we make. Quite the opposite: not clearly defining the boundaries is exactly what allows us to exceed them.

About these ads

21 Responses to “Are videogames games?”

1. 1 streetlightstudios March 15, 2012 at 4:27 am

The concept of videogames is definitely packed with associations, so I like the idea of applying quale here. It fits with the idea that classifying a ‘thing’ as a videogame is a personal decision. I prefer to cast the widest net, so as to not miss anything awesome because of mental blinders. But I have friends who would do the opposite.

“But my point is, does it really matter?” Seconded, and I wish more people thought that way.

Mike

2. 2 mobage coin hack November 23, 2013 at 10:22 am

I also noticed there was a “favor” feature which would be my guess the in-game currency to purchase GODS that is earned by playing in-games.
    The map is bigger, and you can interact with the terran more, such as making new paths between lanes.
    Unlike most strategy games, this game has stuff you can
    do to influence your play while you are not actually playing, such as runes or masteries.

3. 3 Moba Coin hack December 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm

A raid is a group of 10-25 people all working in an extremely coordinated effort to
    kill a giant boss. Like other games in the MOBA genre, Heroes of Order and Chaos is a team-based action-strategy game in which
    two teams fight each other and try to destroy the enemy base.
    Battlegrounds The maps that you will be playing on in Heroes of the Storm are referred to as “battlegrounds” and while they will seem familiar if you have ever
    played other MOBA games before, they are also vastly different and more in-depth.

4. 4 moba coin hack pirater January 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm

introducing new genres differentiating elements that already exist.

Guardians has a rather forgettable graphical presentation, it holds up the Lord
    of the Rings design fairly well for the characters and environments but
    they still somehow feel stale. There is certainly
    also an additional ingredient often called brush in the general video game you need to use to set up ambush
    through the opposite group.

5. 5 facial plastic surgeon in chicago September 7, 2014 at 1:04 am

Finally, mini face lift provide the sufferers an all natural experience by
    themselves as well as at the same time improve their own self esteem and confidence amounts.
    Laser procedures are also used to diminish the emergence of age spots and wrinkles and also to
    resurface your skin. At $10,000 it was exactly one tenth cheaper than the same surgery in the United States, which would have cost
    him $100,000.

6. 6 dofus exp bot September 7, 2014 at 4:27 am

So, do you want to start mastering your engineer class.
    This has been among all time greats offered by MMORPG online games, true delight for avid game fans.

The game was developed by Kesmai, who later added 3D graphics to
    it, thus, making it the first 3D MMO as well.

7. 7 what causes low testosterone September 7, 2014 at 4:56 am

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily
    basis. It’s always interesting to read through content from other
    writers and practice a little something from other web sites.

8. 8 Maryjo September 7, 2014 at 7:57 pm

What i do not realize is actually how you’re no longer actually much more well-favored than you may be right now.
    You’re very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly
    when it comes to this subject, produced me personally imagine it from a lot
    of numerous angles. Its like women and men are not
    fascinated until it is one thing to accomplish with
    Girl gaga! Your own stuffs excellent. All the time
    maintain it up!

9. 9 strategie option binaire September 8, 2014 at 12:02 am

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Many thanks, However I am having issues with your
    RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I cannot join it.
    Is there anybody else getting similar RSS problems?
    Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

10. 10 Visit September 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

You already know hence tremendously about this theme, made me personally trust it out of a number of diverse angles. Their including both males and females are certainly not fascinated except in cases where it is actually connected with Gaga! Your own personal items excellent. Always keep it up!

11. 11 Julianne September 9, 2014 at 6:45 pm

After I originally commented I sewem tto have clicked on the -Notify me whjen new
    comments are added- checkbox and from now onn every time a comment is added I
    recieve 4 emails with the exact same comment. Perhaps there iss a way youu can remove me from that service?
    Cheers!

12. 12 www.gurulohaz.hu September 9, 2014 at 7:10 pm

continuously i used to read smaller articles or reviews which also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this
    article which I am reading here.

13. 13 Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine Review September 10, 2014 at 2:13 am

Any person for that matter does not like to remain with that infection. You know that when muscles relax, they tend to collapse.
    It was not easy, but the amount of money that companies would save in almost every area eventually convinced them to do so.

14. 14 straightfromthea.com September 10, 2014 at 1:37 pm

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but
    I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I’m
    looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

15. 15 Rürup September 11, 2014 at 1:28 am

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of
    hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions
    to protect against hackers?

16. 16 haulitawaydurham.com September 11, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I believe that is among the such a lot vital info for me.
    And i am satisfied studying your article. But want to commentary on some general
    things, The site style is great, the articles
    is in point of fact nice : D. Just right process, cheers

17. 17 latest iphone games free September 15, 2014 at 6:28 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about el tigrillo palma.
    Regards

18. 18 hearthstone cheats and hacks September 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am
    inspired! Extremely helpful information particularly the ultimate
    section :) I take care of such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a
    long time. Thanks and best of luck.

19. 19 Amazon September 16, 2014 at 4:31 am

Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and in depth information you provide.

It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material.
    Great read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

20. 20 mortal kombat xbox 360 September 16, 2014 at 11:35 pm

What’s up mates, how is everything, and what you wish for to say
    about this piece of writing, in my view its in fact amazing designed for me.

1. 1 Small Worlds | Big Small Worlds Trackback on June 27, 2013 at 7:25 pm