How are you?

Hello!

I just got back from Boston, where I was attending the insane and wonderful ROFLcon, in my capacity as rathergood animator. It wasn’t at all videogame related, so I won’t bore you with the details too much, but I have a picture which pretty much entirely sums up my experience:

I’m the one on the right.

Anyway, I’ve been playing a few games recently. Would you like to hear about them? I’m just going to assume you said yes.

Fez (Xbox360)

Fez is absolutely fantastic. I think maybe I’ll talk about it in more detail in a subsequent post – I have a lot to say about it – but for now I’ll just leave it at that. A single caveat: It’s quite absurdly buggy – it’s only due to the fact that the game is so wonderful that when my saved game (at 61/64 collectibles!) managed to somehow corrupt itself, I sighed sadly then started a new game instead of just angrily deleting the game from my hard drive. There’s a patch coming soon though – I have sneaky insider info that this particular problem is already solved.

Mass Effect (Xbox360, PS3, and PC)

I don’t very often play these big AAA ‘event’ games, but on a whim I decided to play through all three Mass Effect games in a row. It took me a few weeks, but I have to say I really enjoyed them. The first one is rather shoddy, if I’m honest: It’s a mess of mismatched half-baked gameplay elements, lazily repeated assets, and painfully underdeveloped writing. The much-hyped ‘romance’ subplot is charmless and mechanical, and the game conspicuously lacks an ‘actually I think genocide is a bad thing’ dialogue option at certain key points, but from the second game onwards it develops into a genuinely engaging story. It’s constantly surprising how much weight the decisions you’re asked to make turn out to have – moral choices in the first game have ramifications in the third, and by the end of the trilogy I was geniuinely proud of my achievements in that universe, and unashamedly invested in the survival of my team-mates.

The ending’s a bit crap, but you probably already knew that.

You Have To Win The Game (PC) (link)

Ha, this one came from nowhere yesterday and ate my entire evening. A really great exploration platformer – an old-school flip-screen Metroidvania, which takes cues from Super Meat Boy and (particularly) VVVVVV, wrapped up in a completely wonderful cathode-ray CGA monitor aesthetic. It’s really good, and bizarrely features a final meta-puzzle which wouldn’t seem at all out of place in Fez.

Oh look! In a nice circular way we’re back at the first game. I’ll pretend that I planned that, and wrap things up. I just need a clever observation to finish on…

…Videogames! Sometimes they are quite good.

Bye!

11 Responses to “How are you?”

1. 1 Thanatos September 9, 2012 at 6:43 am

Wat? Mass Effect 2 and 3′s story sucked! Mass Effect 2 turned its back on the overarching plot and turned towards the characters. And you don’t do that in a trilogy about an overarching plot god damnit. That’s why when ME3 rolled around ME2 didn’t mean squat and the story sucked both from lack of effort and lack of story development in ME2. LOL DEUS EX MACHINA TYIME.

• 2 David Shute September 10, 2012 at 12:01 am

Well, your mileage may vary, of course, but I felt quite differently. I agree that ME2′s plot didn’t really progress the big epic arc-story, but the focus on characterisation was very welcome to me after the clumsy writing and deeply troubling morality of ME1. And the ME3 storyline was for the most part pretty great – it did a great job of knitting together all the disparate concepts and story threads of the previous two games into an escalating, climactic plot. Yeah, Bioware fumbled the ending – although not nearly as badly as the internet seems to have decided – but right up until the last half hour of the game it’s all pretty sweet.

This reminds me, I should probably play the revised ending at some point.

2. 3 dementia stages August 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm

First off I would like to say terrific blog!
    I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.
    I’ve had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out. I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Many thanks!

3. 4 http://www.umbc.edu September 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I just couldn’t leave your site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual info an individual supply on your visitors?
    Is gonna be again ceaselessly to inspect new posts

4. 5 hostgatror October 18, 2013 at 8:07 am

Great blog here! Additionally your website loads up very fast!

What web host are you the use of? Can I get your associate hyperlink in your host?

I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

5. 6 wholesale nba jerseys china January 23, 2014 at 11:45 pm

999 Registration is swiftly, simple and easy and positively cost-free so remember to, be part of our local community presently!. The Paris ReadytoWear collections grew to become the big style news story.
    wholesale nba jerseys china http://www.spokanesouthie.com/wholesale-nba-jerseys-c-1.html

6. 8 vaporizer Pen} May 6, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Heya just wanted to give you a quick heads up
    and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show
    the same results.

7. 9 fuck girls pussy dick boobs teens sex cunt May 23, 2014 at 12:07 am

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this
    onto a co-worker who was doing a little homework on this.
    And he actually bought me breakfast due to the fact that I found it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx
    for spending time to talk about this subject here on your blog.

8. 10 clash of clans on pc May 25, 2014 at 6:07 am

Fastidious response in return of this matter with firm arguments and explaining everything about that.

1. 1 click through the up coming website Trackback on May 19, 2014 at 2:42 am